Monday, November 28, 2011

New Obsession: Etsy.Com

Happy Monday Readers! 

Hope everyone is adjusting to reality again! 


I've recently become overly obsessed with etsy.com. This obsession probably started alongside with my obsession with blogging because different etsy shops would keep popping up on my daily reads and I would always check them out! Now it's the my first stop shop for anything I need! Move over Google, hello Etsy.


 Etsy allows individuals who sell handmade, vintage crafts and supplies to sell their products online. Each person can set up an online shop with Etsy and create their own shopping website! It's geared too small business owners and should not be used as a vehicle to direct traffic to a bigger, privately owned sites.



There are certain fees involved but are manageable considering this is a great way to get your product out to customers that would otherwise have never known you existed! Think, someone living in Tennessee can now sell their coffee cozy and keychain to ME a college girl in Boston! It beats the street vendors, let me tell you! For those interested in setting up an Etsy shop browse here for more information- Learn How to Sell on Etsy


As a buyer, you simply enter into any product name in the search box on the Etsy home page and multiple pages will come up linking you to many different shops! Now to be fair, browsing Etsy could take forever and you might drown in the million bangle options. But the left hand tool bar does help narrow these search items down a bit- but above everything- patience is key! It's important to also compare prices between two shops! It takes a bit of time and research but in my opinion- it's totally worth it because you can really find some great pieces at fair prices! 

Before signing off, I just wanted to share with you all a few of my favorite Etsy finds! 

First, in the beginning of September I was looking for a subtle, elegant everyday necklace. I was browsing for pendant necklaces and came across Green Tea Jewels and fell head over heels in love with all of the jewerly. Everything is simple and delicate- nothing too flashy and the perfect balance between sophistication and not being over the top. And the prices are perfect! Not expensive at all but worth every dollar because you're not getting a silly piece of costume jewelry. Jill Schilling is the creator behind Green Tea Jewels and is a Hawaii native. That is where she makes all of her jewerly and where it is shipped from. Her tagline is "Little Pretties for Everyday" (umm hello how perfect!). She focuses on elements like metal circles, ovals and genuine stones in her pieces. All of her chains are either sterling silver or 14k gold filled and be customized for longer lengths. 



I ended up choosing the Sun Beam Necklace because I thought it was classy and understated and would not draw much attention away from an outfit but could still stand on its' own. 


My other top two choices were: 



and the Crescent Necklace


When I received my necklace in the mail-it was perfectly wrapped with a handwritten note that made the whole purchase much more personal! It felt like as if I had actually gone to her shop in Hawaii and bought the necklace (well maybe that's a bit of a stretch!) 

My second new Etsy obsession is Pink Gasoline! I stumbled across this shop when I was searching for coffee coozys  and found that they were hosting a coffee coozy and keychain holiday special...and would monogram both for me! And this is the perfect example of when a little patience comes in handy-the first shop I found was a bit more pricey and would not monogram a keychain for me! When Pink Gasoline said they would, I could not be happier! 


Pink Gasoline creators, designers and seamstresses are North Carolina neighbors, Alicia and Beth. They select a combination of colors, patterns and textures to create bags and other items that will bring you attention and compliments. Each bag or product is fully lined and interfaced that will look great and last for years. Pink Gasoline offers key fobs, baby blankets, wallets or make up bags, aprons and many others! And all items can be monogrammed (and who doesn't love a monogram?!).

My interaction with Beth was absolutely lovely! She quickly responded to all my questions and let me choose from any of the available fabrics for what I ordered! Prices are also so reasonable! It was a win-win! 


It got shipped out today and I cannot wait to receive it! I'll upload a photo once I receive my package! 

Now onto some shameless advertising! My aunt, Mimi, recently opened her own etsy shop and I couldn't be happier for her! She's been making jewelry for yearss and would often give her creations out as christmas and birthday presents! She's sold at various street fairs in New York but I think moving her shop online to Etsy is such a great idea! Her online site is called Stoned and Strung


Mimi hunts different thrift and vintage stores for her beads and centerpieces for necklaces! Each one of her creations is unique and cannot be found anywhere else in the world! 

Here are some of my favorites: 







Mimi's creations are funky and unique and would make for great Christmas presents!

What are your favorite Etsy shops? I would love to check them out!! 

XOXO 
E

ps you have to check out Carly from College Prepster's giveaway from Marley Lilly! It's amazing!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I am *in love* with the Green Tea Jewels shop, those necklaces are gorgeous! Great finds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those necklaces! I absolutely love Etsy too! You can find everything on there! New Follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Etsy so much that I do a series called Etsy Shopping (very original) to showcase random Etsy stores. You can spend so much time just looking at all the gorgeous stuff!

    I love the sun beam necklace!

    ReplyDelete